Saturday, August 16, 2014

Can't Stand the Clutter Anymore -- Organizing Time!!

I have a fairly big house.  It's an OLD house, built in 1908 I believe it was.  When we bought it we got an amazing deal.  It looked so big, that is, until we started putting furniture in it and living in it.  This old house has wonderful real hard wood floors (that need some TLC) solid wood doors and door frames (that they painted over for some reason, should be a crime) and a stained glass window in the mudroom closet (our house used to be a church rectory).  One thing about old houses though, the storage space is not very good.

We knew when we bought out house we were going to have to spend some money and get our hands dirty to bring our house up to speed.  One thing I continue to struggle with though is storage space.  We have 4 kids, I'm  a blogger and a sweeper so I have review products and prizes all over the place.  My husband has an ebay stores and we use the basement for his inventory.  We have an attic and we definitely store things like decorations and clothes the kids have grown out of there but what to do with things like extra couponing supply, kids toys, and things like that has been frustrating.  I can't stand the clutter and I'm slowly doing stuff about it.

I've been donating things like extra couponing stock to charities.  I go through my room and my kids' rooms periodically  to get rid of things that are broke, not used, and out of date.  Most recently I got tired of seeing all the baseball caps laying around constantly.  My husband wears baseball caps constantly.  You know how some guys say women are with shoes.  This is my husband with hats.  He wants to get this one and that one. He must have about 25-30 of his own.  Now my 3 boys are getting into it  So needless to say we have hats everywhere.  I just bought one one of those over the door hat organizers.  I feel better already. I've been picking up hats and hanging them on the hat organizer as I find them.



Step two in my organization process is my pantry cupboard.  Again we don't have a lot of cupboard space in our kitchen for 6 people.  Things are stacked on top of other things.  It's sort of like a Jenga game only not as fun.  Sometimes you pull something out and something else falls out.  Sure I've tried organizing it but the kids or my hubby just throw things back in any which way.  After doing it so many times, I gave up.  But I suppressed the frustration and bought some storage bins on sale.  I'm going to try a new approach.  Wish me luck!




No comments:

Post a Comment